While commercial property firm SEGRO is up 17%, Morrisons is down 16% and Lonmin shares have fallen by an ugly 99%.
However, next years winners and losers will almost certainly be different. Are Morrisons, Lonmin or SEGRO likely to beat the market in 2016?
Ive been cautiously impressed with Morrisons management and financial results over the last year.
Scrapping the M Local convenience stores and launching a low-cost trial in filling station forecourts seems like a smart move to me. Morrisons was too far behind Tesco and J Sainsbury to compete directly, but could do well in the right locations.
The firms financials are also improving. Strong cash flow has reduced net debt from a peak of 2.8bn in February 2014 to 2.1bn at the end of the third quarter. A further reduction is expected during the fourth quarter.
Morrisons now trades on 16 times current year forecast earnings, falling to 13.5 next year. The stock offers a 3.5% prospective yield and is currently trading at its book value of 152p. Unless you believe Morrisons will fail to make any further progress, I believe the shares look good value.
SEGROs decision to refocus its portfolio on high-quality logistics properties always seemed smart to me. It seems to be paying off and the shares have climbed by 77% over the last three years.
SEGRO is a real estate investment trust (REIT). This means it has to pay out 90% of its tax-exempt profits to shareholders in the form of dividends. SEGROs profits from lettings are fairly stable, as youd hope, and generally rise with inflation.
The firms dividend payments have reflected this, rising by 2%-3% per year since at least 2009. In my view this attribute makes the shares a good long-term income buy, even at todays fairly average 3.6% yield.
However, Im not sure shareholders will see a repeat of the big capital gains of the last three years. SEGROs discount-to-book value has been erased and the shares now trade slightly above book value. This suggests to me that the stock is already fairly valued, unless the underlying value of its assets continues to rise.
Bargain or bust
Lonmins recent $407m rights issue created 46 new shares for every one original share. This meant that shareholders who didnt choose to participate saw the value of their stock fall by 98%.
However, this was Lonmins third rights issue since 2009. Only 70% of the rights were taken up. The remaining 30% were placed with the Public Investment Corporation of South Africa. This is a publicly-owned business, so Lonmin has effectively been part-nationalised.
Lonmin shares have fallen by about 40% since the rights issue shares began trading and are now worth about 0.7p. Thats around 80% less than the post-rights issue book value of 3.8p per share. This could be a serious bargain.
If Lonmin can deliver a successful turnaround, these shares could easily double or triple in value. However, theres also a chance that Lonmin will finally fail, leaving shareholders with nothing.
Top pick for 2016?
All three of these stocks could be a profitable buy for 2016, but I believe there may be better buys elsewhere.
One possible choice that’s caught my interest is the company featured in “A Top Income Share From The Motley Fool“.
This is not a boring big-cap income stock! It’s a mid-cap company which Motley Fool analyst James Early believes has turnaround and income potential.
James believes profit margins could be set to rise at this firm, boosting earnings.
For full details, download this FREE, no-obligation report today.
For immediate access, simply click here now.
Roland Head owns shares of Tesco, Wm Morrison Supermarkets and SEGRO. The Motley Fool UK has no position in any of the shares mentioned. We Fools don’t all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors.