Sitting at the top of the FTSE All-Share leader board today is Fortune Oil (LSE: FTO), which is up around 46% after it was announced that it has been the subject of a bid approach. The suitor, Fortune Dynasty Holdings, already owns around 57% of Fortune Oil and is the biggest shareholder in the company. Under the terms of the deal, it will acquire the remaining 43% of shares in Fortune Oil, with the company being valued at around 388 million.
The deal is set to be completed in the first quarter of next year and will be implemented by way of a court sanctioned scheme of arrangement. Fortune Dynasty will pay 0.10 in cash per Fortune Oil share, as well as a contingent entitlement to a further 0.05 per share in cash or loan notes via a contingent value right. Importantly, the deal is being championed by Fortune Oils board, who seem to believe that this is the best outcome for investors in the company.
Clearly, the news is positive for investors in Fortune Oil and brings to a close a challenging period for them. In fact, Fortune Oils share price had fallen by a round a third during the course of the year but, following todays exceptional gains, is now flat year-to-date. Given the collapse in oil prices in 2014, this is a relatively good result.
Furthermore, Fortune Oils recent results highlighted a significant fall in profit. It fell to 9.7 million in the first half of the year, which was well down from the comparable periods figure of 228.4 million. And, even though last years figure did include gains of 214.9 million from the sales of assets, even with that gain excluded it still represented a fall in pre-tax earnings of around 28%.
Fortune Oil also cautioned against significant growth in China for natural gas over the medium term in its recent update, with government policies having the potential to dampen demand, while a slowdown in Chinas growth rate could also harm sales in the region. With Fortune Oil being focused on China, this could have meant reduced profitability in 2015 and beyond.
So, while many investors may be sitting on losses if they bought shares in Fortune Oil while sentiment was high, the deal for Fortune Dynasty Holdings to acquire the remaining 43% of shares in the company appears to be a sound one. And, with a number of other oil and gas stocks falling heavily during 2014, this could provide investors in Fortune Oil with an opportunity to reallocate their capital to relatively more attractive opportunities.
Of course, finding the best oil and gas stocks is not an easy task – especially when, like most private investors, you lack the time to trawl through the index listings.
That’s why The Motley Fool has written a free and without obligation guide called 7 Simple Steps For Seeking Serious Wealth.
The guide is simple, straightforward and could help you to find the best resource plays at the best prices. As such, it could make a real difference to your portfolio returns in 2015 and beyond.
Click here to get your copy of the guide – it’s completely free and comes without any obligation.
Get FREE Issues of The Motley Fool Collective
Get straightforward advice on whats really happening with the stock markets, direct to your inbox. Help yourself with our FREE email newsletter designed to help you protect and grow your portfolio wealth.